Director, Cardiac Hospitalization Unit, Tel-Aviv Medical Center, Israel.
Associate Professor of Cardiology, Tel Aviv University.
Experience in Medical Journals at Senior Level.
- Section Editor: Heart Rhythm.
- Past Section Editor: Heart Rhythm.
- Past Associate Editor: Europace.
- Guest Editor: Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
- Guest Editor: Heart Rhythm
- Guest Editor: Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology.
Experience in Medical Journals: Editorial Boards and Reviewer Positions.
- Editorial Consultant: The Lancet.
- Editorial Board: Circulation, Journal of the American Colelge of Cardiology, Heart Rhythm, Journal of Cardiac Electrophysiology, Pacign and Clinical Electrophysiology, Heart (past), Annals of Noninvasive Electrocardiology.
- Journal Reviewer: The New England Journal of Medicine, Nature-Clinical Practice, Lancet, Annals of Internal Medicine, Archives of Internal Medicine, Circulation, Circulation-Clinical Electrophysiology, Circulation-Cardiovascular Genetics, Journal of the American Colelge of Cardiology, European Heart Journal, JACC-Clinical Electrophysiology, Europace and 20 other journals.
Michel Mirowsky Award in Cardiology in Israel. Israel Heart Society. 2008.
Distinguished Teacher, Tel Aviv University, 2008
Distinguished Physician, Tel Aviv Medical Center, 2009.
Distinguished Reserve Officer, Israel Defence Forces, 2010.
Elite Reviewer Award. Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
Century Reviewer Award. Heart Rhythm.
Simon Dack Award for Outstanding Scholarship from the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2013.
Best Publication on the Clinical Studies category in HeartRhythm, 2014.
Distinguished Cardiologist. Asociación Nacional de Cardiólogos de México, 2014.
Best Presentation, Clinical Catergory. Cardiac Electrophysiology Society, 2014.
Distinguished Scientist Golden Lionel Award, Venice Arrhythmias, Italy 2015
Task Force Member:
- American Heart Association, Position Paper. Analysis of the 12-lead ECG as a Screening Test for Detection of Cardiovascular Disease in General Populations of Young Healthy People (ages 12-22 years). 2014.
- European Society of Cardiology, Position Paper. Management of patients with palpitations: Position paper from the European Heart Rhythm Association. 2014.
- American Heart Association Committee on Electrocardiographic Early Repolarization. Member of the writing committee, 2014.
- American Heart Association, American College of Cardiology and European Society of Cardiology GUIDELINES on Ventricular Arrhythmias and Sudden Cardiac Death. Reviewer.
206 publications in peer reviewed journals, first or last author in >95%.
Top 10 publications.
- Viskin S, Belhassen B. Idiopathic ventricular fibrillation. American Heart Journal 1990;120:661-71.
- Viskin S, Alla SR, Barron HV et al. Mode of onset of torsade de pointes in congenital long QT syndrome. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 1996;28:1262-8.
- Viskin S, Lesh MD, Eldar M et al. Mode of onset of malignant ventricular arrhythmias in idiopathic ventricular fibrillation. Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology 1997;8:1115-20.
- Viskin S. Long QT syndromes and torsade de pointes. Lancet 1999;354:1625-33.
- Halkin A, Roth A, Lurie I, Fish R, Belhassen B, Viskin S. Pause-dependent torsade de pointes following acute myocardial infarction: a variant of the acquired long QT syndrome. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2001;38:1168-74.
- Belhassen B, Glick A, Viskin S. Efficacy of quinidine in high-risk patients with Brugada syndrome. Circulation 2004;110:1731-7.
- Viskin S, Zeltser D, Ish-Shalom M et al. Is idiopathic ventricular fibrillation a short QT syndrome? Comparison of QT intervals of patients with idiopathic ventricular fibrillation and healthy controls. Heart Rhythm 2004;1:587-91.
- Zeltser D, Justo D, Halkin A, Viskin, S. Drug-induced atrioventricular block: prognosis after discontinuation of the culprit drug. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2004;44:105-8.
- Viskin S, Rosovski U, et al. Inaccurate electrocardiographic interpretation of long QT: the majority of physicians cannot recognize a long QT when they see one. Heart Rhythm 2005;2:569-74.
- Viskin S, Rosso R, Rogowski O, Belhassen B. The "short-coupled" variant of right ventricular outflow ventricular tachycardia: a not-so-benign form of benign ventricular tachycardia? Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology 2005;16:912-6.
- Viskin S, Rosso R, Rogowski O et al. Provocation of sudden heart rate oscillation with adenosine exposes abnormal QT responses in patients with long QT syndrome: a bedside test for diagnosing long QT syndrome. European Heart Journal 2006;27:469-75.
- Topilski I, Rogowski O, Rosso R, Viskin S. The morphology of the QT interval predicts torsade de pointes during acquired bradyarrhythmias. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2007;49:320-8.
- Rosso R, Kogan E, Belhassen B et al. J-point elevation in survivors of primary ventricular fibrillation and matched control subjects: incidence and clinical significance. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2008;52:1231-8.
- Viskin S. The QT interval: too long, too short or just right. Heart Rhythm 2009;6:711-5.
- Viskin S, Postema PG, Bhuiyan ZA et al. The response of the QT interval to the brief tachycardia provoked by standing: a bedside test for diagnosing long QT syndrome. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2010;55:1955-61.
- Rosso R, Glikson E, Belhassen B, Viskin S. Distinguishing "benign" from "malignant early repolarization": the value of the ST-segment morphology. Heart Rhythm: 2012;9:225-9.
- Halkin A, Steinvil A, Rosso R, Adler A, Rozovski U, Viskin, S. Preventing Sudden Death of Athletes with Electrocardiographic Screening: What is the Absolute Benefit and How Much Will it Cost? Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2012;60:2271-2276.
- Adler A, Topaz G, Heller K, Viskin S.
Fever-induced Brugada pattern: How common is it and what does it mean?. Heart Rhythm 2013;10:1375-82
- Viskin S, Wilde AA, Guevara-Valdivia ME, et al. Quinidine, a life-saving medication for Brugada syndrome, is inaccessible in many countries. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2013;61:2383-2387.
- Yankelson L, Sadeh B, Gershovitz L, Viskin S.. Life-threatening events during endurance sports: is heat stroke more prevalent than arrhythmic death? Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2014;64:463-469.
- Rosso R, Adler A, others, Viskin, S. Long QT Syndrome Complicating Atrio-Ventricular Block: Arrhythmogenic Effects of Cardiac Memory. Circulation. Arrhythmia and electrophysiology. 2014.
Back to speakers